The Short Story
At Edumi we respect your privacy. We know the use of any online service involves a strong two-way commitment of trust and we want to hold-up our end of the bargain. We need to collect some personal information in order to be able to operate and improve our service. After careful deliberation we reduced this to the following:
- Your name
- Your university email
- Your age
- Your gender
- The answers you provide to our questionnaire
- Anonymous metadata about your visit including:
- What device you use to visit our site
- Roughly from where you visit our site
- How long you visit each page
- Other small tidbits like the what browser you’re using and what version you’re on.
We think this is the minimum amount of data with which we can operate our service in a reliable fashion towards you, our fellow students. The data you fill in on our form stays between you and Edumi. However some data, like the anonymous metadata or your email address may be shared with third party tools that help us manage our user data for the purpose of sending out emails or analysing the way users use our site. Of course we understand your data, is yours and you should be the one in control. Hereto we offer the following commitment: If at any moment you want your data deleted from our services, that is absolutely possible. Just send us an e-mail at [email protected] and we will be glad to help you with any request regarding your data like receiving a copy of it or requesting account deletion. You can even do many of these actions yourself in your user page under the settings screen (which can be accessed by clicking the cog icon when you’re on your profile page).
The Long Story
Your privacy is important to us. It is Edumi’s policy to respect your privacy and comply with any applicable law and regulation regarding any personal information we may collect about you, including across our website, https://edumi.io and third party services.
This policy is effective as of 1 March 2021 and was last updated on 1 March 2021.
Information We Collect
Information we collect includes both information you knowingly and actively provide us when using or participating in any of our services and promotions, and any information automatically sent by your devices in the course of accessing our products and services.
When you visit our website, our servers may automatically log the standard data provided by your web browser. It may include your device’s Internet Protocol (IP) address, your browser type and version, the pages you visit, the time and date of your visit, the time spent on each page and technical details that occur in conjunction with any errors you may encounter.
Please be aware that while this information may not be personally identifying by itself, it may be possible to combine it with other data to personally identify individual persons.
We may ask for personal information which may include one or more of the following:
- Your age
- Your gender
- Answers to questions in our questionnaire (on a numerical scale)
Legitimate Reasons for Processing Your Personal Information
We only collect and use your personal information when we have a legitimate reason for doing so. In which instance, we only collect personal information that is reasonably necessary to provide our services to you. Below we will try and explain why we need the different data points that we collect:
- Name – For internal record keeping and to be able to give your name to the person you’ve been matched with.
- Email – To be able to contact you about being matched and to allow your match to contact you.
- Your age – We use your age to better match you to other students and to optimise our matching techniques on the long term.
- Your gender – We use your gender to better match you to other students and to optimise our matching techniques on the long term.
- Answers to questions in our questionnaire (on a numerical scale) – We use your answer data as the core information on which to match you to other students.
Collection and Use of Information
We may collect personal information from you when you do any of the following on our website:
- Sign up to receive updates from us via email
- Use a mobile device or web browser to access our content
- Contact us via email, or on any similar technologies
We may collect, hold, use, and disclose information for the following purposes, and personal information will not be further processed in a manner that is incompatible with these purposes:
- to enable you to customise or personalise your experience of our website
- to pair you with other students based on the answers you provide to the questionnaire
- to contact and communicate with you
- to enable you to access and use our website
- for internal record keeping and administrative purposes
Please be aware that we may combine information we collect about you with general information or research data we receive from other trusted sources.
Security of Your Personal Information
When we collect and process personal information, and while we retain this information, we will protect it within commercially acceptable means to prevent loss and theft, as well as unauthorised access, disclosure, copying, use, or modification.
Although we will do our best to protect the personal information you provide to us, we advise that no method of electronic transmission or storage is 100% secure, and no one can guarantee absolute data security. We will comply with laws applicable to us in respect of any data breach. In line with this we want to keep the data we collect in our database to an absolute minimum, as to allow us to provide our service to you.
You are responsible for selecting any password and its overall security strength, ensuring the security of your own information within the bounds of our services.
How Long We Keep Your Personal Information
We do not aim any of our products or services directly at children under the age of 13, and we do not knowingly collect personal information about children under 13.
Disclosure of Personal Information to Third Parties
We may disclose personal information to:
- third party service providers for the purpose of enabling them to provide their services, for example, IT service providers, data storage, hosting and server providers, advertisers, or analytics platforms including but not limited to:
- Mailchimp (your e-mail address and name) – We use Mailchimp as our mailing list provider. With Mailchimp we can keep you up to date on our project. If at any time you wish to be removed from this list, please press the unsubscribe button in one of the e-mails or contact us and we will remove you.
- Google Analytics – (metadata about when and how you visit our site like user-agent, abstract device information like if you are using a smartphone or a laptop to access our site and roughly from where you visit our site) We use Google Analytics as a provider of statistical data to better keep track of who visits our site and how they visit our site. This information will only be collected if you opt-in to our cookie notice when you start your visit and will not be tied to your Edumi profile or e-mail address.
- our employees, contractors, and/or related entities
- our existing or potential agents or business partners
- courts, tribunals, regulatory authorities, and law enforcement officers, as required by law, in connection with any actual or prospective legal proceedings, or in order to establish, exercise, or defend our legal rights
International Transfers of Personal Information
The personal information we collect is stored and/or processed where we or our partners, affiliates, and third-party providers maintain facilities. We only store your personal data on servers physically located in the EU, and as such are compliant with GDPR regulations. However the data we share with the aforementioned third parties will be stored on servers outside of Edumi’s direct control and may be located outside of the EU.
Your Rights and Controlling Your Personal Information
If you have previously agreed to us using your personal information for direct marketing purposes, you may change your mind at any time. We will provide you with the ability to unsubscribe from our email-database or opt out of communications. Please be aware we may need to request specific information from you to help us confirm your identity.
If you believe that we have breached a relevant data protection law and wish to make a complaint, please contact us using the details below and provide us with full details of the alleged breach. We will promptly investigate your complaint and respond to you, in writing, setting out the outcome of our investigation and the steps we will take to deal with your complaint. You also have the right to contact a regulatory body or data protection authority in relation to your complaint.
We use “cookies” to collect information about you and your activity across our site. A cookie is a small piece of data that our website stores on your computer, and accesses each time you visit, so we can understand how you use our site. This helps us serve you content based on preferences you have specified.
Limits of Our Policy
Our website may link to external sites that are not operated by us. Please be aware that we have no control over the content and policies of those sites, and cannot accept responsibility or liability for their respective privacy practices.
Changes to This Policy
If required by law, we will get your permission or give you the opportunity to opt in to or opt out of, as applicable, any new uses of your personal information.
For any questions or concerns regarding your privacy, you may contact us using the following details: